Permanent Sr. Cloud Engineer, Cloud Infrastructure
About the Team
Cloud Infrastructure is a collection of focused teams that enable Slack’s engineers to build and run services in the cloud in a safe, simple, and reliable manner. Slack’s infrastructure is always evolving to support our fast-growing business and we are looking for engineers to join our growing team.
We are made up of systems and software engineers based out of the west coast of the US & Canada (Pacific time) and Melbourne, Australia (AEST). We provide different compute options for our customers to deploy to: Kubernetes (EKS), VMs (Chef) and a Serverless (AWS Lambda) platform all tied together with services such as Consul, Envoy and Nebula. We develop tools and services that make it easier for product teams to build and operate their services. We manage our worldwide cloud (AWS) ecosystem and drive the adoption of new cloud technologies within Slack.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
About the Role
This role is open to candidates based on the West coast of Canada (operating in Pactific Standard Time). Both remote and office based candidates may apply.
What you will be doing
- Working on impactful projects within a small, agile team to advance our overall platform
- Developing on Slacks underlying Cloud infrastructure. This involves building tools and services, contributing to our internal Serverless compute platform and making access to AWS services simple and effective
- Influence team-level prioritization and technical direction – contribute towards team roadmaps
- Participating in an on-call rotation for the services the team owns, triaging and addressing production issues
- Engaging with Slack’s wider engineering community to build relationships, identify potential areas of improvement (or pain points) and help drive adoption of our team’s solutions
- Mentor other engineers to help foster a cohesive team environment
What you should have
- Well defined knowledge of how the Cloud works and love to share that knowledge with others
- Ability to build tooling, automation and/or services in one or multiple languages (e.g. Go, Python)
- An strong customer focus for building internal products with other engineers as your customers
- Experience deploying and operating services in a Cloud environment
- An understanding of fundamental networking
- A strong belief that Infrastructure as Code is the way forward (though languages such as Terraform or Cloudformation)
- A love to model modern methodologies for unit tests, code review, design documentation, debugging, and troubleshooting. You’ve been developing and operating web applications professionally and can talk at length to things you and your teams have built
You probably tick some of these boxes:
- At least 5 years of professional experience in software engineering, working in a team environment
- Know your way around with one or more programming languages — e.g., Python, Go, Ruby, or others
- Extensive experience deploying, operating and debugging server software on Linux
- Experience with AWS
- Experience building and releasing software using Docker containers
- Experience with Kubernetes
- Familiarity with deployment automation/configuration management — e.g, Chef, Terraform, Ansible, CloudFormation or others
- Experience running deployment automation/configuration management systems — e.g, Chef, Puppet, Terraform, Ansible, CloudFormation or others
Slack has transformed business communication. It’s the leading channel-based messaging platform, used by millions to align their teams, unify their systems, and drive their businesses forward. Only Slack offers a secure, enterprise-grade environment that can scale with the largest companies in the world. It is a new layer of the business technology stack where people can work together more effectively, connect all their other software tools and services, and find the information they need to do their best work. Slack is where work happens.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.
96 total views, 1 today